The Alabama Board of Dental Examiners requires that all dental hygienists practicing in the state must hold a Board issued license. Recent graduates from an accredited dental hygienist program may apply for a dental hygiene license by examination. Those who have worked as a dental hygienist previously in another state may apply for a license by credentials. If you have not lived in Alabama for more than one year, you must complete a Professional Background Information Services background check.
Basic Requirements for Dental Hygienists in Alabama
- Typed or printed notarized application form
- Recent 2-inch by 2-inch photograph with signature
- Copy of CPR card with date
- Proof of completion of an infectious disease training course
- Proof of completion of Hepatitis B Series
- Copy of Alabama driver’s license and voter registration
- Official transcript showing graduation from a dental hygienist program
- National Board Dental Hygiene Exam scores
- Regional board dental hygiene exam scores
- Certified check or money order in the amount of $325
Additional Training and Certification
Dental hygienists working in Alabama must meet the Continuing Education requirement stated in the Alabama Dental Practice Act in order to renew their dental hygiene license. For more information, please contact the Alabama Board of Dental Examiners or call 205-985-7267.